Pre-Losing the Paci picture =/
DAY 1: So Monday night Cory decided to cut one of Will's pacis to see what he would do. His paci is his security blanket and he has become more and more attached to it over the past month. I knew that we needed to lose it soon since he is almost 19 month old, but I just didn't want to break down and do it. I knew how much he loved it and I didn't want him to suffer. Yes, I am the softy mother not the strict one!! BUT I was the one that broke him from his bottle and took his cup away at night (he was pretty easy to break from those). So back to the story, I told Cory not to cut too much from it that we needed to start small. Well he ended off taking off more than I thought he should.
After he gave it back to him, he kept looking at it and saying "pa-pa, uh-oh!!" over and over! He would stick it in his mouth and it wouldn't stay so he would try holding it in his mouth. He didn't ever get upset about it until it was bed time. He layed in bed asking for it, so we gave him the "nub" and he would put it down and ask for another one (he knows he has like 5, I just hid all of them). He ended up watching Dinosaur Train for forever, but wouldn't go to sleep. So I turned off the TV and he talked to us for like 5 minutes and then started crying. I gave him a few minutes thinking that he would stop and fall asleep, but he didn't so I turned the TV back on. He ended up falling asleep watching TV with the paci in his hand just whining about it. He slept ALL night without waking up for it until my alarm went off.
Day 2: He had a breakdown while I was in the shower so after I got out I went and got him and he played on the counter while I got dressed. I put a "good" paci in my purse just in case I decided to break down and give it to him. The whole way to Granny's he asked for it even though he had the nub in his hand. We got to Granny's and I got him to show her what had happened to it. I told her the whole deal and we both thought that he would be fine because he never takes it there until nap time. Fifteen minutes later she text me and said that he has had a breakdown and can she give him another paci. I told her to go ahead (I felt bad because she was having to deal with the whole paci thing), but she text me right back and said that he wouldn't take it because it was a different kind. He ended up being ok (of course) until he woke up from his afternoon nap, he started crying for it once again.
For some odd reason he associates me with the paci so everyday when I get there to get him he greets me at the door asking for it. Between me and her we give in and give it to him because otherwise he screams the whole time we talk. So yesterday was no different, I walk up to the door and he yells "Maaammma!! Pa-Pa!!" and goes behind the door to get his bag. I give it to him because it's just a nub and he just tells me it's broke. So we went to visit with Nana afterwards and he didn't have it from the time we left Granny's until the time we left from taking Cory supper at work. He asked for it then because he was getting sleepy. I gave it to him, but he just held onto it and yelled broke!! I had to keep him awake on the drive home (15 minutes top) because he kept dozing off. Went in, gave him a bath and we were in bed by ten till nine. He ended up crying pretty hard for a couple of minutes, then to whining, then crying, then just watching TV. He fell asleep after about an hour with it in his hand.
I fell asleep minutes after he did and by 11:30 he was up crying. I wasn't sure how long it would last so I turned on the TV to get his mind off of it. He never even watched it and only cried for a couple of minutes. He never cried for it, but I knew that if I would have given him a "good" one he would have stopped crying immediately, but I was strong and didn't!! I text Cory and told him that when he came in to be SUPER quite because Will had already woke up once. I put his paci on the nightstand and he didn't ask for it again. He woke up a couple of times during the night just crying out, but fell right back to sleep.
Day 3: I quitely got out of bed and he woke up yelling for me! I took a quick shower because I could hear him crying for me, but once I got out he was already asleep. As I was putting my jewelry on he woke up and was in the BEST mood. He gave me Ming-Ming to take with us so I put her and his paci in his bag. We drove all the way to Granny's singing Dinosaur Train and eating Pecan Pinwheels and Fruit Loops and he didn't ask for it at all. Walked into Granny's and that's the first thing he asked for!! We quickly detoured him to playing outside. I text her later on and asked how he was and she sent me this picture saying he was fine just playing in the dirt!!
She sent me a video right before lunch of him (all of them) running around chasing bubbles. He looked so cute playing with his friends!! Makes my heart happy!! I text her after lunch and she said that he fell asleep with only his blanket. Then I text her an hour ago and she said he woke up and was NOT crying and still has not asked for it!! I'm sooo happy, but I'm also sad. Makes me realize that he's growing up way too fast!! So lets just hope that tonight goes PERFECTLY!! I'll update in a couple of days to hopefully say "Paci who??!" =)
Aww! Breaking things like that is hard. Mason is 2 now and still wants a bottle at night. I don't know how we're going to break him of it. How did you do it? It's so hard! He refuses milk out of a cup :(
ReplyDeleteCute pictures!
Thanks! Yes, it is very hard!! I broke him from the bottle around 13 months, but it wasn't hard. I just started bringing a cup to bed with milk instead of his bottle and he was like sure! But he never gave me trouble with milk in a cup either. A week before Cory cut the paci, I had took his cup away at night and he was fine. I had to give it back though after we cut the paci because he needed something. I plan on taking it away again in a couple of weeks after he is used to the no paci. Just be strong (I know it's hard!!) and tell him he can only have milk out of his cup! Good Luck!!
Delete